Today was a yuck day. I’ve been feeling all sick in the stomach and the children have been all feral: watering the washing, emptying tissue boxes, scattering all manner of foodstuffs across the floor and then industriously walking them throughout the house, Harry has resisted all forms of clothing and Christopher Robin has resisted all forms of obedient behaviour. We were late for school, we forgot half a dozen different forms we were supposed to return and Matilda’s hair was one enormous knot. Annie was cranky all morning, and then when I finally got her to sleep, Harry decided to break into her room, climb into her cot and ride her like a pony. And after that, he decided that a productive use of his time would be to pull up and destroy all the pea plants we’d been growing. There is nothing for dinner and if there was I couldn’t be bothered cooking it. Everything is a disaster and all I want to do is sleep.
At times like this, there is only one thing to do: take photographs of bunting.
I’m still fairly new to Blog World, but I’ve just cottoned on to something called “Work-in-Progress Wednesday” and I thought I’d give it a go.
I’m still getting the hang of taking decent photos. I took my first lot in the shade and the colours were all wrong. But when I put everything in the sun, I had shadows to contend with!
So these little flags are on their way to becoming a string of bunting for Matilda’s room. They’re made of cotton yarn which I bought years ago to make a blanket but never did. I used the excellent granny bunting pattern from Hook Knit Spin and was first inspired by Lucy of Attic 24’s creation. Lucy never did a “ta-da” post for her gorgeous bunting, but it creeps into the background of her pictures for me to gasp at. You can get a glimpse of it in this post.
So, I’ve still got a while to go before it’s done, but it’s nice, portable work. Good for swimming lessons and netball games.
OK, must stop hiding from my children (poor Mr Knightley – I practically pelted him with preschoolers the minute he walked in the door!). I’ll keep you posted on all the bunting love!
Do you remember this dilemma? I was not sure if I should go all understated and grown-up with the cream yarn, when really all I wanted to do was get my hands on that rainbow wool and play. Can you guess which one won?
Of course! It had to be the rainbow wool! And it was just so delicious! Usually I try to use block colours and avoid too much variegated busy-ness, but in this case I just couldn’t resist. I even put some on the top of the hat, look:
Hmmm. It’s upside-down. But that’s OK. I just did a little experimental hooky and came up with this. It’s just one round and put together with double crochet (US single) and picot stitches. Happy to share if anyone’s interested (ooooh! my first original pattern online!)
And here’s my friend’s son, looking decidedly unimpressed with his trendy new acquisition.
I should have made it bigger! It was a little on the snug side, but my friend loyally protested that it was the perfect size. At any rate, he makes a very cute little gumnut baby!
One of the things I will be writing about in this blog is my Adventures in Crochet and this is one such post. I thought I’d share some hooky decisions I had to make today – perhaps you could give me some advice?
So here’s a hat I’m making for my friend’s baby. I found the pattern for free on Ravelry, called the Elfin Baby Set (see here). I was very disciplined and used yarn from my ever-growing stash to make it. I think it needs edging in a contrasting colour to make it more interesting, but not much goes with pale yellow (in my mind at least). Here’s what I’ve come up with:
So this is cream coloured yarn, very classic, but a little blah.
And this is a lovely rich rainbow yarn – too overpowering? Do you think I can get away with it?
I’m leaning towards this one, I think.
Now on to problem number two. And it’s another baby hat. I’m making this one for a bigger baby – I made her booties initially but made them too small and kept forgetting to give them so now it’s just embarrassing, which is why it’s so super-important that I get this hat right. In the meantime, I hope the baby’s head doesn’t have some freak growth spurt because that would just make me cry.
This one is called Shell Stitch Beanie and the pattern is by Betsy at The Dainty Daisy. I made this one with some gorgeous wool I got for a bargain from the Bendigo Wool Mills. It wasn’t until I started making it, though, that I realised why I got the wool so cheap – and why it was in a bag. Ladies and Gentlemen, the hat you see before you is the hat that remnants made:
I hope it holds together! It has that many different bits! Now here’s my problem. I want to sew on a cream-coloured flower with a button in the middle and my plan was to use a wooden button (mmm…). But it turns out there is NO wooden button in my extensive button collection (grrr…). So here are my other options:
Or I suppose I could drag four children into the not-so-local haberdashery superstore to purchase a single wooden button…